Monday 10 February 2014

Shimla Spice

What a nightmare, what an absolute nightmare!

Whoa whoa whoa, hold you horses, back up a minute there... 

Lets not get off on the wrong foot here.  Don't worry, I'm not eluding to Shimla Spice here - the mighty Shimla Spice by and large delivered... our nightmarish dining experience was the product of.... wait for it.... children! Ours!

Izzy tackles the Naan on a stick like a Pro

Kids in perpetual motion (toilet, window, toilet, window.... repeat!).  Unable to have a conversation - unable to even sit peacefully for more than 2mins!  Rice and popadoms everywhere*! KIDS!  AAaarrgh!

So a dining experience somewhat marred by our kin.  They aren't bad kids, just... just... easily bored and time consuming!  I guess like most kids - yet to discover sitting and chatting over a meal is a pleasurable experience?  In time I'm sure.  So, generally a difficult task to focus on the fodder and to take anything in alas, but I can still make a few observations:

Lahori Masala Fish
Firstly, Wow!  Shimla Spice seems so busy busy busy these days. A real buzzing atmosphere.  A big slap on the back is deserved for all the awards and associated drawing in of the crowds.  Even at 'doors' at 17:30, Shimla Spice was filling quickly! Thankfully we were accommodated, but I was worried for a minute that we were to be unlucky, and moved on!  I think a quick call and booking in the future might be a good idea.

Hot Hot HOT!
Popadoms arrived with the menus, which is always a nice touch, and the perusal and decision making in earnest commenced.  I loved the Achari I had on my last visit, but I was determined to have something new, so Lahori Fish Masala and Lamb Peshwari with a garlic naan were my selection.

Now, I'm not overly full of bravado normally, but when my mate Fran asked for his dish 'really hot', I foolishly followed suit in a 'not to be out done' kind of way and also ordered hot also!  More on that in a minute.

Firstly, the Lahori Masala Fish.  Chuncky and tasty fish coated in a very subtle blend of coarsely ground spices.  Quite delicious.

Now, the Lamb Peshwari (hot!).  My 'Big Man', 'make it hot', 'I can take anything' attitude came back to to bite me on the bum I'm afraid!  Boy it was hot!  Really slipped up, and my silly request slightly spoilt a wonderful curry. However, before I burnt my mouth, I ascertained I'd been served another excellent Shimla Spice curry.  Deeply dark and rich, with sweet and sour tones, and high quota of melt in the mouth lamb. The sauce was thickened with ground almonds and pistachios and made for a hearty and indulgent curry - very decadent if not the most visually appealing!


My mouth was on fire by the end!  Such an idiot I am and such a shame!  I will return to the Lamb Peshwari without fail, but stick to my favoured middle of the road spicing - lesson well and truly learnt!

The Garlic Naan on a stick was high quality, and help a little to quench the fire in my mouth.  Went down well with Izzy who loved reaching up and tearing great chunks off.  A large Naan could be quite daunting to a small 3yr old - but she wasn't perturbed and attacked the bread with gusto.

I understand there to have been a minor confusion with one of the orders and one of our party had to remind the waiter she was still waiting for her food but overall top marks 10/10 yet again for for Shimla Spice.  Great place.

*Sorry for leaving a mess chaps - we will leave a healthy tip next time we are in.

Shimla Spice Shipley on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment